Monday, December 20, 2010

The Gift Challenge

Sunday, December 19, 2010

UP AT THE CRACK OF DAWN AGAIN [whimper]. THIS TIME TO TAKE EVERYONE TO COSTCO...fluorescent tubes for a bunch of house lights...a gift for brother James since I pulled his name this year...dishes for Seth...Bachan is eyeing the ham...God help me...I hang out at the books.

Drive everyone home...drop off the stuff...take Bachan to Safeway (most likely to fondle ham), CVS Drugstore, Nob Hill, Zinnia's Gift Shop, sit Bachan next to the fireplace and eat lunch at Jack In The Box, Scotts Valley Market for organic salads and such, Walgreen's, and I think there was a store or two in there somewhere, oh yeah, K Mart, the $1 Store, a venti Chai Eggnog Latte with a shot of espresso for Johnny, and maybe some place else, I don't remember, it's all beginning to blur together.

Home...I pass out for two hours...exhausted...up to order Shawnda's Bday/Xmas gift.

She's thinking about making sourdough bread using her Grandmother's bowl, but hasn't a clue on where to start. Oh, boy! A gift challenge. That's the best kind.

After searching the web for hours, I find three websites I like:

--  TheWilbourneGroup.com for the starter and instructions and "unlimited tech support". Hmm. Making sourdough must be tougher than I imagined. 

--  Breadtopia.com for the starter jar, whisk and lame (pronounced lahm) to make those neat cuts in the dough.

--  SassafrasStore.com for the Superstone La Cloche Brick Oven Roaster for a light crumb inside and a crunchy brown outside.

Later, I'll make a card and tell her about JoeJaworski.com/bread/bread2.tm, who has the best instructions with photos.

Whew! That was a lot of digging, but it was fun.

I love knowing she'll get three different boxes on her doorstep before Christmas.

Hmm. Maybe Bill will want to kick in a few dollars. He won't have to run around shopping and he'll get the credit for being a creative gift giver. Sounds like a deal.

What present did you enjoy shopping for this year?

May gifts surround you,


Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment