Sunday, January 30, 2011

Living a Beautifully Better Life

I'VE GOT TO TELL YOU ABOUT A LITTLE TECHNIQUE I'VE DREAMED UP AND HAVE been using since the beginning of the year that's really been working for me.

Remember that "how well rounded is your life" exercise I do with my friends in January...to review last year? Well, I've been thinking that sometimes it doesn't feel so good when I reflect on my past results. I mean, how many years have I been wanting to contribute to the world on a more regular basis? The percentage inches up a little every year, but not enough to make me happy. And you know how important it is that I'm happy.

So instead of reflecting once a year, I've decided to consider my day every day.

Now don't get scared. It's nothing hard. And it won't make you feel bad.


This is how it works.

Every day, I write this on my calendar as an item to do:  LIVING A BEAUTIFULLY BETTER LIFE!  SPIRIT > MIND > HEART > BODY > HOME > CAREER > ABUNDANCE > FUN > GIVE.

Since it's on my calendar, I see it and it reminds me of the things most dear to me.

It helps me focus on what's important, not what's urgent.

The categories are big, but the tasks are small so each takes just a few minutes and I don't get overwhelmed.

At the end of the day, I reflect on what I've done and update my calendar entry. It might look something like this: .....LIVING A BEAUTIFULLY BETTER LIFE!  SPIRIT meditate A-H, read A-H calendar, read A-H quote  > MIND read 30 min. Figuring Things Out > HEART had lunch with Bill & Shawnda; took Bachan for a walk > BODY rebound 20 minutes; green smoothie for dindin > HOME moved computer in bedroom so easier to rebound > CAREER developed work samples for potential jobs > ABUNDANCE saw another rainbow-cloud on the way to work today; means good things are coming to me. Woo hoo! > FUN blog > GIVE played freerice.com; gave 17 things to Goodwill.

Oh, the "....." is my way of telling myself that I completed a task that was on my calendar. That way I can quickly scan my calendar and tell what I did and what I didn't do. If I didn't do something, I move it to another day. It's a big help at work during appraisal time since I know exactly how many people I trained, how many classes I conducted, etc.

Really. I'm feeling soooo much better about what I accomplish each and every day. And it's not like I HAVE to do these things. I WANT to do them. They make me feel good.

And if I notice I didn't do something in one category, I just take a few minutes and complete a tiny task, such as writing a thank you note to a friend. 

I feel good about making progress in all areas of my life...a little at a time. It's kinda like taking a few baby steps every day instead of running a 100 mile marathon at the end of the year. So much easier. So much more comfortable.

What do you think? Do you have a technique you use? Or if you try mine, lemme know how it works for you.

May progress surround you,


Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment