Thursday, January 27, 2011

Contributing Every Day--FreeRice.com

ONE OF MY GOALS IS TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE WORLD IN SOME SMALL WAY, EVERY DAY. I do that by giving gifts to co-workers for all the holidays throughout the year (FUN!), giving things away to people at work or donating them to Goodwill, making soup for an ailing neighbor, giving used books to Sue at Molly's Cafe for her reading group, giving $20 to a bustling bus boy at a restaurant, sending good thoughts into the world, etc.

I've found a new way to give every day. It's fun, free and easy.

FreeRice.come. Maybe you've heard of it, but do you play every day?



There's a one-time sign up where you set your name, email, etc.

After that, you log in and select the answer to a vocabulary word. For each right answer, they'll donate 10 grains of rice through the World Food Programme to help end hunger.

I love how minuscule [very small; tiny] pieces of rice start piling up in my "bowl" when I answer correctly. And when they tally my score, it makes me want to play just one more minute so I can earn more rice. Genius! Within a few minutes, you can easily earn over 1000 pieces of rice!

It's free to us. Honest. FreeRice is a non-profit website run by the United Nations. Sponsors pay to advertise on the site and they're the ones who actually pay for the rice.

Sometimes I'm appalled [filled with consternation or dismay] at how long I'm on the internet. Now, I like knowing I can spend a few of those minutes having fun, improving my vocabulary, and helping someone eat today.

Since 2007 when they began, FreeRice has raised enough rice to feed 4.3 million people.That's a lot of rice. Little things CAN add up to big things.

Sometimes they'll list your name showing how many questions you answered today. They also list top players and top groups. You can even keep track your friends, in case you're a teensy-weensy [tiny] bit competitive.

I try to play virtually [almost but not quite; nearly] every day.

How about you?

May abundance surround you,


Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment