Monday, January 24, 2011

Betty Burgers--Juicy Patties, Hot Buns *****

I JUST HAD MY FIRST BETTY BURGER. MMMMM! LOVE THE BURGER. LOVE THE LOGO. Love the story.

BURGER. I had a Point Grinder. A 1/2 pound of fresh, hormone free, grain fed, Black Angus beef, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, bleu cheese and green onion lube for $6.95. Me and Bachan split it.

We also split a 50/50 Fry Basket...half sweet potato fries/half reg fries...$3.95. It was sooo big that after Bachan ate the fries, she didn't have room for her burger.

Betty also serves up veggie, turkey, and salmon burgers; salad; chili; and kiddie food. I hear the shakes and malts (featuring the one-and-only Marianne's Ice Cream) are fantastic.

LOGO.  See above.

STORY. Her website has a pic of the letter she wrote telling her story, but since it's a little hard to read, I'm retyping it here for you to enjoy: 

Hi, I'm Betty.
     Folks are always askin, "Betty, this is a darn good burger--best in town--where did a girl like you learn to make a burger like this?" Well here's my story...
     I came from a small speck of a town in the Texas Panhandle. "Big Dutch Dixon" was the only family I ever knew. He raised me from the time Mama hitched a ride with a surfer dude passin' through heading out to California. I'll never forget that day. I was just five when we watched Mama wave good bye as the red convertible sped out of town with the Beach Boys blasting on the 8-track. She never looked back. As a kid, I watched those old Gidget movies and thought of Mama and her Moon Doggie.
     Now Dutch didn't have many talents but he could ride a Harley like a greased hog and made a wicked good mesquite burger. Many said the best in Texas. Anyway, like they say, the apply doesn't fall far from the tree and at sixteen I headed West to find Mama. Dutch vowed he'd not cook another burger till I returned. Well I found plenty of beach boys, some I even loved. One used to call me "Gidget Gone Bad." I never did find Mama or a burger as good as Dutch's. Dutch passed on a few years back and all he left me was his burger recipe. Hell, I didn't know the man could write, so here I am.

Kisses,

Betty


GO TO BETTY BURGERS. I don't know if you'll find her, but you will find her burgers at two places in Santa Cruz.

--  Midtown:  505 Seabright Ave., 831-423-8190.

--  Eastside:  1000 41st Ave., 831-475-5901.

You can also visit BettyBurgers.com.

May yummy food surround you,


Catherine




No comments:

Post a Comment