Sunday, March 20, 2011

Japan Earthquake/Tsunami: Day 10

SURVIVOR STORY. Nine (yes, nine) days after the earthquake and tsunami struck Japan, a 16-year old boy was found calling for help from the roof of an Ishinomaki house. He lead rescuers through the rubble of his home to an 80 year old woman. Both were weak, but conscious and air lifted to a nearby hospital.

He said they were trapped under the rubble and survived on orange juice and drinkable yogurt. He saw a light and crawled his way to it and managed to get out of his house to call for help.

YOSHIO CALLED YESTERDAY! He's staying at his sister's house, Sako Ishimori, in Takagi. He said he had just closed his noodle house and was smoking a cigarette when the tsunami alarm sounded. There was no time to grab anything. Everyone just jumped in the car.

Much of Takagi is destroyed or flooded, except for a few houses in one area where Sako lives.

Yoshio said Auntie Eiko is OK in Ishinomaki. She lives in a neighborhood high on a hill. Although her house is old, it is OK. Everyone on the hill is stranded because the water in the town below is still waist high. They cannot go to the store. They have no running water or electricity.

They do not believe anyone will help them. I'm not sure why. Maybe because they feel rescuers have more urgent needs to handle.

CONTRIBUTION.  I mentioned my belief that bicycles will become increasingly important to Japan, not only as transportation, but as a means of recovery through two-wheeled micro-businesses.

I found the bike charity I heard of years ago:  WorldBicycleRelief.org. Again, they assist, not just help, people in poverty and disaster by training locals how to manufacture and fix bikes. In this way, the entire community benefits over time. In 2004, they provided 24,400 bikes to people in Sri Lanka after the Indian Ocean tsunami.

And these aren't your average bike. Nope. They're heavy-duty bikes designed specifically for the challenges of the area. For example, the ones they designed for Africa are simple and tough...perfect for the harsh riding conditions found in rural Africa. It features a heavy-gauged, lugged frame; a rugged, single-speed drive train; heavy-duty cranks and chains; automotive-grade, puncture-resistant, long-wear tires; heavy-duty rims, and more--all in a culturally appropriate design. Don't you just love them?! !

WBR works with groups to respond to crisis situations where simple, sustainable transportation will improve the health, education and economic situation of people in need.


They're a great group with a wonderful story doing good work in the world. I've emailed them asking if they plan to assist Japan. I'll keep you posted.

INSPIRATION. An Abraham Daily Quote (see abraham-hicks.com > subscribe to daily quotes).  You can't take sides against anything. If you would just leave the "against" part out; if you would just be one who is for things - you would live happily ever after...  -- Abraham --

I'm for peace. I'm for prosperity. I'm for generosity. I'm for compassion. I'm for well being. I'm for giving. I'm for allowing. I'm for health. I'm for happiness. I've for love. I'm for laughter. I'm for listening.

What are you "for"?

May peace surround you,


Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment